2012 Vegetable Evaluations

‘Polar Bear Pumpkins’

Each year we trial annual fruits and vegetables. We evaluate new and old varieties side by side. During the season we make careful notation of flowering dates, fruit set dates, and first ripe fruits. In addition we evaluate plant habit, health, insect pressure, and taste. Our goal is to find out what varieties do best under our weather conditions here in Wisconsin.
Our data is used by both the home and market gardener to determine what to grow.

This years evaluations include a brief summary of weather conditions here at the station.

2012 UW-WMARS Vegetable Evaluations

2 thoughts on “2012 Vegetable Evaluations

1. Thank you for all that you do.

I am originally from California, a totally different climate, and I have absolutely no prior experience in gardening.  I have been coming to the Family Agriculture and Urban Horticulture days for the past few years, and have learned more about what I can grow in this region.  Because of your help and advice, I have had the courage to plant different types of fruit and vegetables, much to the delight of my own children and the other  children in my childcare. 

Now I have cherry trees, blueberries, red raspberry, and strawberries, as well as a small herb garden.  Last summer, we also feasted on tomatoes, peppers, onions, and spinach.  Next summer, we will be expanding.

You are having a positive impact on the health and nutrition of my family and others. Thank you.

• Maggie,
      Thank you for the truly neat note on our gardens and your experiences. We always need support and this a great note is proof that our efforts can be so rewardng.

To find that you use your knowledge not only for your children, but the children in your daycare is truly a pleasure.

Judy